ITS MY OLD CAR; THE HINO CONTESSA 900 – 1965
Hino Motors, commonly
known as simply Hino, is a manufacturer of diesel trucks, buses, and other
vehicles based in Tokyo, Japan. For the last 32-years the company has been the
leading producer of medium and heavy-duty diesel trucks in Japan. It is a member
of the Toyota Group
Hino Contessa 1300 Deluxe
The company traces its roots back to the founding of Tokyo Gas Industry
Company in 1910 (today it is two companies; Tokyo Gas Company and Tokyo Electric
Power; TG&E). It produced its first motor vehicle in 1913, the Model TGE
"A-Type" truck. In 1937 TG&E merged its automobile division with that of
Automobile Industry Co., Ltd. and Kyodo Kokusan K.K. to form Tokyo Automobile
Industry Co., Ltd., with TG&E as a shareholder. Four years later the company
changed its name to Diesel Motor Industry Co., Ltd. which would eventually
become Isuzu Motors Limited.
The following year (1942), the new entity of Hino Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.
spun itself out from Diesel Motor Industry Co., Ltd., and the Hino name was
born. Following the end of World War II, the company had to stop producing large
diesel engines for marine applications, and with the signing of the treaty, the
company dropped the "Heavy" from its name and formally concentraded on the
heavy-duty trailer-trucks, buses and diesel engines markets, as Hino Industry
To sharpen its marketing focus to customers, in 1948, the company added the
name "Diesel" to become Hino Diesel Industry Co., Ltd.
- Profia (previously Super Dolphin Profia), sold as Hino 700 for export -
heavy duty truck
- Bonneted medium truck (for North America)
- Dutro - light truck
- Wide range in Japan including Wide Cab, Double Cab, Hybrid, 4WD, and Route
- Five models in Indonesia: 125ST, 125LT, 125HT, 140GT, and 140HT. All are
- In Thailand: Dutro 300, 301, 340 (Standard Cab), 410 and 420 (Wide Cab).
- The Dutro is also sold in Malaysia, Australia, and Latin America.
- FB, FC, FD - light trucks replaced by Dutro
- Ranger - medium to heavy truck
- The Ranger KL was first introduced in 1969
- The 2nd generation was launched in 1980
- The 3rd generation of 1989 is called Rising Ranger
- The latest 4th generation (Ranger Pro) came in 2002
- In Indonesia the 2nd & 4th generation are labelled
Super Ranger and
Jumbo Ranger . The 3rd generation was not offered.
- Hino has been competed in Dakar Rally since 1991 with Ranger FT 4WD truck
driven by the Japanese rally driver, Yoshimasa Sugawara. He always finished in
the Top 10 in Camion Category, and 1st in the category in the 1997 event.
- Poncho - light bus
- Liesse & Liesse II - light bus
- Blue Ribbon - city bus
- Rainbow - medium bus
- Melpha - medium bus
- S'elega - luxury bus
- Front-engine chassis (e.g. FB) - light bus
- Front-engine chassis (AK) - big bus
- Rear-engine chassis (RG, RM, RK) - big bus
- Toyota Hilux Surf (4Runner) - assembled by Hino Motors
- Contessa, passenger car built in 1960s
Hino Contessa 900 Sprint
Pictures of your car
Send a picture of your car attached to this
tell us a little about it and we'll show it here.